Saturday, March 12, 2011
This started out as a nude from a Don Andrews workshop. It wasn't terrible but it wasn't ever going to see a mat or frame so it was a perfect candidate for "repurposing" (I love the new phrases that come along!)
The colors were quite nice so I wanted some of that to show through. I took a sheet of Japanese lace paper that had a very small grid pattern and layed it ontop of the painting. Then I squeegeed gesso through the weave and lifted the lace paper off. For some reason, although an acrylic product, does not act as a glue so I was able to get the paper off and let it dry. It will be reusable many times! The actual figure was still too obvious so I took some cheesecloth and layed it over the head and squeegeed more gesso over that and lifted it off. I then proceeded to repeat this last action in several different areas. When the gesso was dry, reversed the orientation of the painting with the (former) head on the bottom and then I positioned the tissue drawings onto the page, trying out various compositions, and settled on this one. I drew around the figure with a damp brush and pulled the excess tissue away giving a soft broken edge rather than a cut one. I glued the pieces down with diluted matte medium and was very impressed with the strength of this tissue paper. I was surprised to find such a difference in the paper.
Posted by Myrna Wacknov at 9:39 PM